Bradley Airport Terminal B

Bradley Airport Terminal B

Peter and I used to drop off Cristine at this terminal when she would be leaving on some of her long trips to South Asia for work.  After she went to her gate he and I would sit on a bench at curbside and record the names and numbers on the shuttle vans as they came past.  I still have some of the notebooks that we used all those years ago.

On Friday I drove her to the airport for a brief trip to DC and on the approach road, this is what we saw.  I guess I knew that they would be tearing it down at some point, but it was still a bit of a shock. / She flies in later tonight, but I came down early to try to get a shot.  The sun went below the horizon within 30 seconds of taking this photo and the light changed completely.  It is always amazing to me that a building once so full of activity could be reduced to this.  It will be completely gone very soon.

1. Jane Wille said, on 02/02/2016 at 6:40 pm

Where is this terminal? I, too, am fascinated by the whispers of various ruins: structures, a coarse wooden table with the flatiron imprint, even writings in a family guest log that suggest unpleasant attitudes about women especially. Thank you, as ever!

2. Tania M said, on 02/02/2016 at 9:10 pm

I love ruins, (usually abandoned, not being torn down). But this photograph has the same beauty. I truly enjoy all of your posts.

• joncrispin said, on 03/02/2016 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Tania, I sometimes wonder if anyone actually reads these posts that are non suitcase related. But they are important to me, and I appreciate your feedback. All best, Jon

• Tania M said, on 10/02/2016 at 8:56 am

I subscribe to the blog, so I do read everything you post.
        I was listening to a podcast last week, and the guest said that you should frequently comment on blog posts that you read, even if just to let the author know that you read and enjoy it. I am trying to do that more often. Thank you.

3. Ashley Hertz said, on 08/02/2016 at 5:21 am

Great shot, Jon! And love the narrative that really personalizes this important modern day ruin. Would be interesting to pull out all of those notebooks.

• joncrispin said, on 08/02/2016 at 9:59 am

Thanks Ashley, I have saved a ton of that sort of thing, and it brings back strong memories whenever I look at them. Best to you and Darren. J