Small Fir

Posted in Nature, Plants, Trees by joncrispin on 21/11/2012

I think I posted a shot of one of these a few years ago.  I can never remember what this small plant is called but I seem to remember seeing them in terrariums back way back when. They are all over the woods above my house. I’m pretty sure my sister will chime in with the correct answer.  Anyone else care to enlighten me?

Tagged with: , ,

1. joncrispin said, on 21/11/2012 at 11:10 am

Sorry, should be small FIR. Fixed

2. Gail said, on 21/11/2012 at 12:53 pm

Ground pine…at least that’s what we called it in Elk Co., PA. The day after Thanksgiving every year my Dad organized a ground pine gathering expedition. My sisters and I had to collect bags and bags of it so my Dad could make Christmas wreaths. It became endangered in the 60’s and we had to unfortunately (?) stop collecting it.

Another bit of ground pine trivia. Some ground pine has yellowish candles. When you break them off and collect the powder you can throw the powder over a cadle flame and get a big fire-y flare. Story is they used it decades ago on stage during certain plays.
    (TMI?)

3. Francis Patrick Lecuyer said, on 21/11/2012 at 1:02 pm

Club Moss – (Lycopodium spp)

• Francis Patrick Lecuyer said, on 21/11/2012 at 5:47 pm

Up north here in Massachusetts we call it club moss. We used white pine tree branches and holly for Christmas wreaths.

4. Hank. said, on 21/11/2012 at 3:33 pm

Ground pine it is! (Lycopodium dendroideum). Here’s the wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycopodium
    Pretty cool. The ID photo looks almost identical to yours, albeit less artistic!

5. Rosina McVicker said, on 22/11/2012 at 12:46 am

I really enjoy all your pictures and posts. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.