Willard Suitcases / Freda B / Margaret D

Posted in History, Mental Health, Willard Asylum, Willard Suitcases by joncrispin on 17/03/2015

I started shooting the Willard Suitcases project on 17 March 2011, which is exactly four years ago today.  I had no idea what I was doing, but knowing that I had access to one of the most unique collections of institutional artifacts anywhere, I figured something had to come of it.  Here is a link to a post I put up the next day.

Peg and I spent the day continuing to work our way through Margaret D’s possessions.

The list above seems to be a resumé of sorts.  And you can see Margaret’s will on the lower right.

A huge thank you goes out to everyone that has helped me with this work, and to those who have appreciated my efforts.  All best, Jon

1. Kay Grady said, on 17/03/2015 at 8:44 pm

Many steps, many paths. They join, one and all.

2. David said, on 17/03/2015 at 9:24 pm

Quite the milestone! It’s been very moving to follow along. Thanks for all of it.

3. Bob said, on 18/03/2015 at 8:45 am

way to go, bro!

4. Tania M said, on 19/03/2015 at 10:16 am

Wow, four years already. I love following this process. Congratulations.

5. globalphotographer said, on 19/03/2015 at 1:12 pm

Jon

I hadn’t realized it was this long that you had been photographing. See you when I get back this has been a very good trip to Uganda. The kids in our home are precious. Have been taking lots of images.

Connie

Sent from my iPad

6. Kim Campbell said, on 21/03/2015 at 10:02 am

Beautiful. It’s so wonderful, the work you are doing and honoring these souls. My great grandfather was committed to the Indiana State Hospital for a few years. It can be a difficult path.