Gordon Krieghoff

Posted in Art, ephemera, Family, History, painters, Uncategorized by joncrispin on 16/02/2016

Gordon Krieghoff

I have mentioned my Krieghoff connection before.  Like Cornelius, Gordon was also a painter, and he lived and worked in Detroit, which is where my mom grew up. If I remember correctly, they were contemporaries, although Gordon was somewhat older.  In addition to works like the one above, he was also a commericial artist.

While my family doesn’t have any Cornelius paintings, we do have quite a few of Gordon’s.  There is not much of a market for his work, and there isn’t much information online about his life.  It is possible that my brother or sister know more than I, and they might add something in the comments.  I don’t ever remember meeting him as a child.

When my parents died, we siblings each got several of the paintings.  The frames were in pretty good shape but the mats were yellowed and probably not acid-free.  This is the second one that I have had reframed, and like the first, there was something sketched out on the reverse side of the painting.

Gordon Krieghoff painting

This is clearly the beginning of what was probably an advertisement of some sort.  I know he did illustrative work for some of the larger Detroit companies, including General Motors.  Like many of us, I wish I had more concrete facts about my extended family history.

1. marketing4introverts said, on 16/02/2016 at 4:23 pm

That is very interesting! I had an older friend who owned a statue from Germany after WWII and we tried to find out what it was worth and “what it was.” We eventually found enough information to identify and price the piece. It upped the value of a “treasure” for my friend. I wish you good look with discovering more information. Dhyan

2. Ashley said, on 22/07/2017 at 7:00 pm

Jon…I don’t have much information on him but Gordon was my great grandfather.

3. Kevin krieghoff said, on 07/04/2018 at 1:27 pm

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Grandpa & grandma spent there Christmas’s with us all thru the 1960’s

• joncrispin said, on 10/04/2018 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Kevin, I’ll be in touch soon. Jon

• Rhonda Denney said, on 19/04/2018 at 12:17 pm

Hi Kevin. I have one of Gordon J. Krieghoff’s paintings. It was given to me by David “Cricket” Krieghoff back sometime around 1976. David was in the US Army and so was I. We were good friends stationed in Hawaii together. I am trying to get in touch with David. I want to return this painting to him. Can you help me find him? I appreciate any help with this. I really don’t know how to begin. We lost touch some time around 1979 or so.
      You can reach me at Rhonda@RhondaDenney.com. Thank you so much!!

Rhonda Denney

4. Mergeculture Gallery said, on 25/05/2018 at 1:43 pm

Greetings Jon, I came across your site months ago when we were working with artist Chris Clark here in Tampa, FL. We just got around to updating our site with information regarding an opening that Chris had at our gallery.
    Chris was Gordon’s apprentice years ago, he painted a portrait of Gordon, and also has some originals of his.

• joncrispin said, on 25/05/2018 at 2:21 pm

Dear Mergeculture, thanks so much for your comment and it is interesting to learn about Chris Clark. The portrait of Gordon is definitely in the Krieghoff style. My family and I have many Gordon paintings and I can see the influence. Wishing you all best, Jon

5. Patty Morse said, on 15/06/2018 at 2:52 pm

Hi Jon, also just came across your site. Gordon was a good friend of Eloise and Harold Rounds who lived in Grosse Point. Gordon used pen and ink to design a calendar for Mid-West Hydro-Pierce, a tool and die company founded by the Rounds family. My father in law was the nephew of Eloise Rounds and spent a great deal of time with the Rounds family. Eloise had four sisters, one of them, Alma Starbuck was a breeder of champion Irish Wolfhounds. Gordon painted pictures of three champions. He also painted a beautiful watercolor of a wolfhound reposed on a wall. We also inherited 6 other paintings done by Gordon. Although we never met him- we heard stories about him for years! If you would like to see any pictures, I would be happy to send pics.
    We do have an oriental type watercolor we would be happy to sell. Do you have any idea of where to sell it!

• joncrispin said, on 19/06/2018 at 8:51 am

Patty, thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate that you took the time to write. My family too have quite a lot of Gordon’s paintings and we all really enjoy them. I am especially interested in his commercial work and would love to see more of it. / I don’t have any ideas about selling your watercolor, but if you send me a picture of it I’d love to see it. Best and thanks, Jon